Saturday, October 5, 2019

Change Never Felt So Sweet!


Here are Lazy Guy chapters 7 and 8, corresponding to chapters 11 and 12 from the web series, meaning that we're now caught up to what had already been released, so everything after this point is totally new content. For these two chapters though, there is very little new content, excluding a couple of pages from chapter 7, and obviously the two title pages above.

Today also happens to be October 5, the 9th anniversary of Hachimitsu Scans. It has really been a wild ride over the past decade scanlating tons of manga for your reading pleasure, from the golden age of genderbending manga around 2010/2011 in terms of its breadth and diversity, all the way to today where (good) genderbending manga is relatively few and far between, or even if there are some good ones, other groups pick them up first. That is generally a very good thing for readers obviously, since more groups interested in doing that sort of manga will mean more of a chance to read such series in the future, unlike how it was a decade ago when very few groups would do any genderbending manga at all, which of course was the whole reason for Hachimitsu Scans to be created 9 years ago.

But things have changed, and will continue to change. The most welcome change has to do with the digital availability of raws nowadays compared to a decade ago, either from free online magazines/websites that post the raws (Niconico Seiga, Comic Walker, Pixiv Comic, etc.) or from digital sales of manga volumes or magazines. So now it's a lot more inexpensive to legitimately obtains raws. For comparison, on average, it would cost around $10-15 per physical volume when buying them from Amazon, but with digital releases for the Kindle, each volume costs around $5-6 on average, so around half the price of what it used to cost, making it even easier to support the authors directly from digital sales. Plus, you don't have to wait for it to be shipped (although that was really fast through Amazon, even if not instant as with digital sales). This is why the era of physical raws has now pretty much officially come to an end, and going forward, I expect almost all the raws I work from to come from a digital source.

Regarding the availability of new manga I would want to scanlate, that has generally been hard to find over the course of the past year or so, which is why Kanoboku has been the only new series I picked up earlier this year. Still, if I do find a new manga that I'm interested in, or if one of the authors I like starts a new manga I'm interested in, I'll probably end up scanlating it if another group doesn't do it first. So I'll see what happens in the coming months.

But 9 years is still something I would have never imagined back in 2010. Life expectancy for translation groups generally isn't that long for any number of reasons, and being one of the "established" groups that is still around feels pretty weird, but my attitude towards Hachimitsu has largely stayed the same over the years, and I still enjoy the work involved as long as there are people who enjoy and appreciate that work. I know I did towards scanlation groups long before I started learning Japanese, and that appreciation only grew once I realized how much effort goes into doing a proper job at scanalating. That support I've received has mainly kept me going along with the love I have towards the series I work on, even if working on them can sometimes get really annoying, but it's all worth it in the end.

So thank you to everyone for all of the support over the past 9 years, and I hope to keep going for a good while still to come.

A Lazy Guy Woke Up as a Girl One Morning ch. 7: Mediafire, Drive
A Lazy Guy Woke Up as a Girl One Morning ch. 8: Mediafire, Drive

Edit: Typo on pg. 12 in ch. 7 fixed and reuploaded.  Replace with this.

3 comments:

  1. Chapter 7, page 12: "Buy anyway" should be "But anyway".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Hachimitsu Scans for all that you do! It has been a pleasure for me ever since I discovered your site several years ago. I think I check this site for updates on a more consistent daily basis than even social media! XD While there might be less gender-bending manga to go around these days due to other groups existing, I am so very glad you tend to pick up the better ones. There are some very good series now taking the whole gimmicky crossdressing is okay because it's cute to a whole new level about LGBT life and acceptance in Japanese society. And I'm also very happy that you picked up a series like Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru, which wouldn't have been on my radar if you hadn't picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete